Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The meaning of being a mother

I knew all my life that I wanted to be a mother. My transition into motherhood was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I used to envy those mummies who are beautiful, stylish and still have a life of their own despite having children. I wished I was one of them. When I became a mother, I realized there are sacrifices to be made. It's quite impossible to wear beautiful jewelery, stylish clothing, high heels, go partying, out late and stuff without compromising your child. These are not bad mummies, just that... I can't seems to be like them. I used to pity those bleary-eyed new mommy friends of mine whose lives were so engrossed in their drooling, demanding infants that they lost all sense of themselves.

Now, I'm one of them. I'm an unkempt, sleep-deprived mom who permanently has nothing but baby on the brain. For almost eighteen months now, since a 2.92kgs whirlwind named Reese entered the world, my life has been absconded.

This mommy business is hard work. It's round-the-clock, thankless, exhausting and the pay sucks. What do I get in return? A sweet smelling cherubic being with a cheeky smile smiling at you. Now that makes all the sacrifices seem so insignificant!

Baby how-to books skip over the hard stuff. They boil motherhood down to clinical explanations of colic and constipation. None mentioned how much a little person changes your life for better and worse. None ever tells you how emotionally draining being a mother can be. How you can be so devoid of sleep to the point of delirium, and yet blissfully contented and satisfied with your new role. How just when you think you finally have five minutes to yourself, your baby wakes up and you move without hesitation, unselfishly to attend to his needs.

But the payoffs of motherhood well, I didn't expect such bounty either.

I have finally found someone who will allow me to hug and kiss and sing and teach and...etc for as long as I want! :) No complaints... just smiles...

The first few minutes when he wakes up makes all the whining, all the rocking, all the sleepless nights worth it. Every morning, I watch in awe as Reese rubs his eyes with the back of his chubby little hands.

Then he catches a glimpse of me out of the corner of his eye and breaks into a cheeky grin. There's no better way to begin a day.

And not a day has passed since he was born that I haven't thought the same thing: If I never do another thing in my life, I've made a person.

And the neat thing about that is that I've made a person that is part me and part someone I love endlessly.

11 comments:

Mumsgather said...

Theres another thing I like doing. Watching their eyelashes flutter flutter flutter till they fall asleep. The kids, they always refuse to sleep till they practically can't keep their eyes open anymore. Hahaha.

A gift from God said...

True true...but my boy boy will roll around or face down...so hard to see that...hehe..

Mumsgather said...

Haha. Mine rolls 360 degrees in bed and usually sleep froggy style - both of them.

Hey, I hope you don't mind. I like this post so much, I linked to it in my Mothering Times blog.

A gift from God said...

Sure sure...by the way.. i contributed a stew recipe for you to try... oh..please to add a piece of bay leaf.. i forgot to mention that... :)

Anonymous said...

i love reading your blog,
and you are a great mum!

i have linked you too in my blog, stay in touch.

many times, when kayton is sound asleep, i would miss the sound and activity around the house when he was still awake and would fight with the temptation to wake him up to PLAY WITH ME!! LOL!

andrewjune said...

ummm, i've just become a first-time-mother for almost 5 months now :-)
motherhood can be REALLY challenging...but when you see the little one smiling, waving, giggling at you...how they melt our hearts...! it's really a gift from god and i would say it's a gift of JOY!
eventhough a baby changes our live almost 36o degree, but to have her/him in our arms, i thk there is nothing else in the world that matters most!
well, i still WANT to wear nice clothes, high heels and do up myself LOL...afterall, mummies must also look good too LOL
but lately ive been having some difficulties, my girl girl keeps pulling my hair and my top LOL

A gift from God said...

Dear km,

Thank you for your support.. I know what you mean about wanting to wake them up to play... At times I felt the same way too...but when they are awake...sometimes how you long that they go to bed at that instant! ahhahaha...

Dear June,
I also want to wear pretty clothes and heels...bbbuuuttt.... when you wear nice clothes and carrying and tending to a child..very susahlah... first you have to make sure the kid doesn't pull your clothes or ruin it...and next.. you have to make sure you don't expose yourself accidentally... then when you talk about heels? hai..with a kid.. the extra weight on you..will definately cause pains and aches....hehe... even makeup also cannot wear because the kid will play with your lips and touch your face...or worse..when you are busy tending your child..you get all sweaty...that will definately ruin your makeup...get what I mean? hehe

Moomykin said...

There is always room for some dressing up. Just need to get the right stuff. I agree about the shoes bit. I have not had heels on the last 4,5 years. ..and after your feet have been pampered in sneakers and sandals, they'll protest to anything resembling a high eel! ;)

Make up? All collecting dust. By the time I get the boys ready to go out I need another quick shower from chasing them to get dressed (some more no fan on in case they catch a cold). Then if I don't do it quick enough they'll be rolling in the porch with the dos, or would have spilled something... or fighting over a toy...

Just look neat and presentable... Must remember to brush MY hair! Lol.

Moomykin said...

p/s- Forget to mention.
Regarding the meet up in April, it's kinda a close invitation, so I'd rather you SMS me about it.
I'm very "pai-seh" not to be able to invite others. So it's rather exclusive.

Ann said...

You made me cry.....that was so touching.

I so know the waking up moments when you son catches a glipmse of you and gives you the widest smile!

They are in such a good mood and so receptive then! at the back of my mind, I keep hearing a voice "What a perfect time to teach him something new...like how to say mummy!" :)

And yeah, you have created a new person. And the outcome of the person depends totally on us! (That is the scary bit!)

andrewjune said...

the pulling hair and runing the make up is ok...
BUT the accidental "exposing" us ...ohhh NOOO that's not OK!
LOL