Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Communicating Love
How do you communicate love to your children?
Touch? Actions? Talking? Rewards? Listening?
Aren't we blessed that we have so many ways to communicate our love to our children?
When we love our children it is necessary to communicate that love openly and honestly. Our children will not simply know that they are loved by living in our homes and being in our presence. We must express it often and in a variety of ways.
Have you ever thought about writing to communicate love to your children?
Ever since I started blogging, I realised that this blog could be one of the best way for me to tell Reese how much mummy loves him. Now he is still young and it's easy to just give him hugs and kisses and telling him a zillion times how much I love him but what about when he is much older? When he gets more independent and probably it's alot harder to show my love to him. Especially when there are conflicts... oh boy... what about when they are all grown up? It's even more difficult when they go against your well meaning wishes.... you know what I mean?
Not every parent can effectively communicate their love to their children... even if they do... at times children are not ready to 'listen'. I must say... most of the time when my parents are ready to say something to me it is not the time when I am ready or willing to listen. When we write it allows our children to listen to us when they are ready.
This seems to be the case, more often, as the child gets older, reaching its peak in the teen years. Also, the child's ability to listen and focus on what we are saying seems to be exponentially decreased, as the issue becomes more critical. They can then read what we have written at a less emotionally charged time, thus increasing the chances of them actually hearing and using what we are trying to say or teach.
By the way... don't think that the only way to show love in writing is writing about love. One of the most loving things we as parents can do for our children is to write down exactly what we believe about important issues such as spirituality, family, friendship, honesty and etc.
I believe what we write to our children, will have a very big permanent influence on their lives.

7 comments:

Moomykin said...

A friend of mine pointed this out and I agreed with her totally:

In our childhood days our relationships are established on the foundation with our parents. Then as teenagers, we all become crazy and can't see anything eye to eye with them.
But after that, when we become adults, our relationship will somehow fall back on that foundation that we have established as a child. If that is good, we will have remember them, that bond and security, and know that they have loved us and cared for us all along.

So now is the time we build a strong foundation for our relationships with our children.

That's what makes staying home worthwhile... that precious relationship.

Of course the blog is wonderful for them to enjoy too, when they are older...maybe they'd be embarrassed too. Hahaha...

A gift from God said...

You know...I will wait till Reese is in his teens...when it is the toughest time to control or reason with him...then I will show him this blog and psycho him..haha

andrewjune said...

when i'm in my 9th moth of pregnancy, my friend told me to create a blog...i told her i was too busy to create one...
but now i've fallen in love with blogging :-)
and what better way to convey my love to her than blogging (apart from buying buying buying and buying for her LOL)

A gift from God said...

I was also reluctant to blog..cause I was never the kind that will stick to a routine... And I am always very lazy... but...I am sooo Glad that I took up blogging..and now that more people are reading my blog..it gives me more motivation..oh..not to mention..it's also the only way my in-laws can see the progress of their beloved grandson..so..no matter what.. I will continue on...

Ann said...

Sometimes I think a blog is also a good way of venting frustration to no one in particular, expressing sadness that is only in your heart and sharing our joy with the rest of the world.

When there is no one in particular, a blog is our best pal!

And the comments are ever so encouraging!

Things written are also thought of carefully and therefore only mean well.

Anonymous said...

i hope i listened enough,
when Happy Dot tried to talk to me.
i hope one day when he is all grown up, he shall remember that Mummy had always been there for him.

A gift from God said...

Ann,

Yeah..I so agree with you on the frustration part.. when you write.. you just let it all out. :)

km,
Don't use the word hope... you baby will definitely know who is the person that loves and sacrifices most for him.... :)