Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Learning about the Human Body

I think I am beginning to unschool my son. I am letting him lead me to what he wants to learn. Ever since he discovered The Magic School Bus on Human Body book, he became very interested in how our body works and what is inside it. I was so tempted to keep the book because it was part of his next year's science studies. I am glad I did not because he now knows more than me about our body (sort of). He can tell me how our digestive system works, what is in our blood, what germs are and how our body fights them, our 5 senses, he talks about our bones, he can easily tell you what our heart, lungs, intestines, stomach,liver, brain do... 

Oh... did i mentioned that he can also draw the different types of cells? All these by just reading, watching videos on digestion and The Magic School Bus. Sometimes we will sit down together and have discussion on things that he doesn't understand and have lots of fun along the way. No boring text books or worksheets. Amazing what a child can learn if you allow him to lead the way. 

I found this at BBW sale last year for RM15. It's worth it.
This morning he drew the different types of cells and labeled them. On the right are viruses and bacterias.
Books we read
Links to the videos:

Short video on digestion system - Link
The Magic School Bus - Inside Ralphie Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
The Magic School Bus - For Lunch Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
The Magic School Bus - Works Out Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
The Magic School Bus - Flexes its muscles
The Magic School Buss - Goes Cell-ular




No comments: