Friday, March 20, 2009

Reading:Phonics

Ah..... I am really blessed with a child that learns easily. Maybe my dream of Reese reading at two and half might be a reality! :)

I started to teach Reese alphabets when he was about 16 months by flashing cards and sometimes watching starfall.com. By 18 months he knows all his 26 alphabets both upper and lower case.

Then I taught him to associate things that begins with a certain alphabets. This was done off and on in a very informal way. Like when we are in the car passing by a certain thing that he knows and I will tell him that so and so begins with so and so letter. Soon he understood the concept and started to associate things to letters on his own.

About 2 months (Reese was 28 months) back I casually introduced phonics sound to Reese. I did it in the car most of the time while traveling to and from my mother's place. This activity lasted for 5 minutes and no more. In less than 2 weeks later, my boy mastered all the sounds of the 26 alphabets.

Then just 2 weeks ago, again casually I introduced 2 letters combination sound. While driving home one evening, I told him that a-t is 'at' sound and continued on with 'ag, ab, ad, am, an, ap'. I repeated another 2 times and Reese repeated after me. The next day I tested him and Wow! he remembered and so I introduced the 'i' combination. In one week, he did all the 'a' , 'i', 'o' letter combination. This was mostly done verbally.

I am proud to say that as of yesterday he knew all vowel combination except 'e' because I didn't want him confused with 'a'. When I tested him visually, surprisingly he has no problem telling me the sounds. He is a clever boy.

Now I am quite confident that he might be able to read 3 letter words by the end of this month or early next month. It will depend on whether I want to spend sometime teaching him that or not... hehehe... abit lazy.

**If you think I might be pushing my son to read at such a tender age, I want to reassure you that I am not. Reese has a very good memory and he learns very fast. I have never done any formal learning with him. The discovery of him learning so quickly were all through informal play and he enjoys every moment of it.

5 comments:

LittleLamb said...

i m very happy for u...
philip is taking a slower road..

Merryn said...

reese is a smart boy.. soon he'll be reading books to u.. :)

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

how awesome! who cares lah what other ppl think! kids are different, each of them are unique. reese will indeed be an early reader while some other kids wont even though some parents try very very hard (or a lot harder!). for instance, i started reading at 2+ yrs old also, but husband started when he was about five! heheh. God knows which parent gib will take after :p i'm also using the learning-through-play method with gibran and he's learning things at his own pace. so i'm a happy momma.

Kristie said...

reese is such a clever boy!

A gift from God said...

Little Lamb,

I read that you have signing up a class for Philip. As a teacher, I felt that he is too young. Instead of spending the money for others to teach your boy, why not do it on your own first? At least until he is slightly older before sending him to reading classes.

Merryn,
Thanks, I am sure he will do that soon... can't wait.

BabyBooned,
Ah, you read at 2 plus ah... cool. As long as Gib is happy learning and you are happy... good enough. :)

Kritie,
Thanks!