Friday, February 20, 2009

First learn through craft project

After I bought the stationary my creative juices started to trickle in, slowly at first and then it started to come in waves.... hehehe..

I sat down and thought I needed to do some craft with Reese but what? Then I thought of making faces. Cutting the eyes, noses, mouths and etc for Reese to paste and make faces. What does he learn from it? I ask myself. He already knew the parts of a face. Oh well, it's craft. It's all about pasting, cutting and having fun. I am not satisfied with my own answer. :) As I stared at the stationary, it suddenly became clearer what craft is all about to ME. It's to teach Reese to be creative in art (plenty of time to nurture that) and to learn! be it science, geography, math and etc. Learning through craft! I am sure it's not new for many parent/teachers/educationist but for me I never thought of learning through craft. To me, craft is always about making pretty things to boost confidence, creativity and etc.

So after realizing the potential of it, I immediately thought of teaching Reese emotions through the faces that we are going to make. We are going to make a little book on emotions fit for a 2+ year old. :)

After spending a good 90 minutes or so, I designed 4 faces with four different emotions. They are a happy face (yellow background), sad face (blue background), angry face (red background) and scare face (green background). After mixing and matching the faces,hair, eyes, noses and mouths the faces looked like this:

I wanted really cute faces but it didn't turn out that way. I guess it's ok considering I am all rusty in my drawing... hehe.. I should do better on my future projects. What you see in the photo is only 80% completed. Reese needs to paste the parts together and then I will label each card and add eyebrows to the faces. Hehehe... they need some cosmetic. Will show you the end result when Reese and I finish the project. Will probably do it this weekend with him. I already know what my next project is going to be. I am so excited. Will tell you more soon.

5 comments:

Linda said...

very creative. I need to learn from you.... :)

Baby Darren said...

Wow...the faces are so beautiful and attractive..

Hope Reese will enjoy pasting with you. Darren never like to paste coz he did not like the feeling of glue stained on his hand. hahaha..so ended up i am pasting it for him...

A gift from God said...

Dear mummies,

Thank you for your support! I am still very rusty but I am enjoying it very much... :) Hope Reese will learn as he do craft. :)

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

awesome activity! you're really creative, just like darren's mummy. wish i had that kind of creativity! by the way, hope u dont mind, i'm linking your blog :)

A gift from God said...

BabyBooned,

Even if you are not creative, you can always just learn the activities from other mummies! :) I learned alot from them!! :)

I will be linking you soon.. lazy to do edit work right now.. :)