Monday, April 07, 2008

Mother of a son
I always knew during my pregnancy that I will have a baby boy. It's a very strong feeling and I just can't explain it and true enough, I now have a healthy boy who is growing very fast.
I always tell my husband that you should be happy because you got a son. You can basically teach him everything you want him to know about being a boy and man. You can relive your boyhood and give him what you didn't have before. It's a boy thing!
As for me, I want to be as close as I can to my son, I want to be his best friend. I hope when he is an adult, I get to be close to him and be involved in his life.
I used to hate guys who are mummy's boy. Now that I am a mother, I am in a dilemma. I don't want my boy to be a mummy's boy and yet... I want to be close to him... you know what I mean?
During my confinement, my in-laws were with me for 3 weeks to help me out. I did not hire a confinement lady and my mother was busy and can only cook my meals. During that 1 month, I realised that I longed for my mother nearly every hour or so!! My mother-in-law was great but still I yearn for my mother and I am happiest when my mother came visiting during my confinement. I remembered I tried to fight back tears when I saw her and my sister!! I think it's a natural thing that you would prefer your own mother to anybody else.
When I became a mother, I tried to let my parents-in-law to be as involved as possible with Reese whenever they visit. They love Reese so much.
It's interesting that most mothers that I chat with, they will tell me how they prefer their mother in law to stay out of their pregnancy and post pregnancy. They are not mean, it's just that they prefer their own mother! They are more comfortable, they can be themselves! It's a girl thing? I had the same feeling at times but I am very grateful to my in-laws for helping out.....I know I want my in-laws to be involved because I want Reese's future wife to be comfortable with me and allow me to be involved in her pregnancy and post pregnancy... I want to bath my grandson... I want to help...I want to be close to my son's children!!!
Mummies with boys... what's your take on this? Do share your thoughts!

7 comments:

Ann said...

Sigh....I reckon when they grow up and have a girlfriend, I will have to let go. Prayerfully when the time comes, I will know how to 're'act so that my daughter in law will be comfortable with me!

And dear God, please give me a daughter! :)

A gift from God said...

Ann,

I don't know whether I can let go... It's going to be tough..
Yeah... I also want a daughter...

Moomykin said...

My mum-in-law has a few goddaughters, but no daughter of her own. I am just thankful that through my long courtship with her son, she has taken me in so well that she is like a second mom and a very good friend. We confide in each other regarding her husband and my husband. Hahaha...

But of course no one is like your mom.

My 2 boys are so different. I think Micah may come out to be like a "Mommy's boy" but Max will be a whole lot more independent. But I could be wrong.

The time now to indulge yourself with your boys is now. Maybe a little in primary school, but once they hit the teens, they all want to be cool and not want their Mommy hanging around them. But it's Ok. When they have their kids, they will come back to you. :)

I think apron strings are made of rubberbands. ;)

p/s- I think all Mommies would want a girl to do all the girly things with. I want again to play with paper-dolls and do hand crafts, i.e. paper beads jeweleries etc.

andrewjune said...

well i'm a mummy of a daughter...so i can't comment much on this topic :-)

A gift from God said...

Kathie,

I know...now is the precious time to indulge myself with Reese but time just flies.... it's moving so fast that I am a little scared... I already miss my time with him when he was an infant... breastfeeding him, watching him cooo..., teaching him to sit... you know what I mean? :)
When I see mummies with babies.. I will long for one too...haha...

Baby Darren said...

In order for our future DIL to accept us in "their" family, I guess we got to be an "open-minded" mil. Must know when to step in and not.

Or, we got to "brainwash" our son to get an "obidient" DIL instead..hahah...

A gift from God said...

SL,

I wonder whether I will be a good MIL...hehe