Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Discipline and doing it right..

I come from a typical Chinese family where occasionally I get spanked (up to 6 years old) or severe scolding (till teens) from my parents and extended family members. Oh...once my aunt who was very sick got so upset with me that she went to the kitchen and took a chopper (no joke) and cornered me, raised it up in front of me and threatened to chop me up if I don't immediately shut up and stop crying! I never forget that... can't remember how old I was..probably around 5?

I guess I was quite lucky as compared to my cousins (maternal). They were lashed with belts, spanked, slapped, verbal abuse and severe scolding. My uncles love their children but I personally felt that their approach in disciplining their kids... may be a little wrong and too much. Even my mom was quite violent at times..haha.. anyway... they all meant well but sometimes.. they are also doing it out of anger (which we kids cannot understand) and that became something very personal.

I sometimes wonder why our ancestors use these methods. I don't know..but my impression is that we Chinese are always using force to discipline the young. I remembered those days when my aunties and my mom would describe the kind of abuse my maternal grandmother used inflict on one of my deceased uncle. Kneel on shells, uses the chopstick to twist his fingers and even using chilies as a mean of punishment...I can't remember whether he was forced to eat it or kneel on it....violent huh? but to me... my grandmother is someone I love dearly...

There are severe consequences when force is used. Children who are discipline with force will end up more unstable emotionally, more defiant, low self esteem, rebellious and probably will use the same method on their children.

Many a time when I go shopping, I will see parents openly scold or spank their children. One thing I hate... slapping a kid on the face! I felt so bad for these kids. How I wish I can educate these parents....not that I am perfect..but at least they should be taught the right way....

I do not believe in beating or verbal abuse as a form of discipline or punishment. It doesn't really work. Even if it does, it's only short term.

I just don't understand how a parent can hit their own flesh and blood... I can't.
Ah....so lazy to continue...next post..will talk about my way of disciplining children..and it works for the last 12 years... even the most difficult children I was able to discipline them in a positive way!
Mummies... I know... you may think that... I am a little bias here..but hey... seriously... even the most terrible kid... there is a better way to get to them! What we need is a lot of patience and determination and most of all.... we need to learn to control our anger.

7 comments:

Mumsgather said...

Oh, you make me feel so guilty! Patience, determination and anger management, something I'm seriously lacking off!

A gift from God said...

Oh don't feel bad yeah... I am merely expressing my opinion..not judging anyone...

But if you can work on those few traits... hey... in the long run.. it would be benefit both you and your kids.

Happy parenting!

Baby Darren said...

patience...patience...i need tons of it... I feel that I'm getting harder to control my anger nowadays as he is just so demanding and unreasonable at times.

Can u spare me some?? :)

Anonymous said...

My dad used to beat me up with all kinds of stuff he could lay his hands on too. And yet, i never got his message, EXCEPT the true meaning of FEAR!

That's why i never believe in spanking kids to get my message across.

I wouldn't say i am extremely patient on Kayton, sometimes, i lose my cool too, and when i do, i would just leave the scene to cool down first, before i go back to him and reason with him why i am so angry with him.

Looking forward to your next post on your method of discipling.....i could pick up some tips from you too! ;p

A gift from God said...

SL,

I know it's tough... you just have to try your best... maybe this help.. always remember.. our kids... they are innocent! Whatever they do to irritate us is largely due to their own frustration in trying to communicate with us, their curiosity with things... they abundance of creativity that needs to be put into use...the list goes on... :) At times I lose my cool too...but... I will just leave the scene and then calm down and then go back to Reese again...

Km,

Yeah...tell me about it! Fear..fear..fear.. They way my uncles used to punish their children..scary..even my aunties..

Ah.. what you did with Kayton is really one of the best way to control our anger... I do that all the time with kids.. way to go mummy..keep it up...

Ann said...

Ya. I think the physical threats really leave a scar in our memories! And sometimes when i think back, I actually feel very sad and wodner what I did to deserve that threat..even though I know my parents love me!

Really must try hard not to ever make boyboy feel that way...

Thanks for sharing.

A gift from God said...

Ann,

I think we all at one point in time went through the same thing..haha..