Thursday, May 21, 2009

5X milk in a night.....

Reese is getting very difficult again (Could it be because he is down with runny nose? or could it be because he didn't have enough sleep?). For the past two to three weeks, he will ask for milk up to 5 times a night!! Imagine we having to get out of our slumber and make his milk. If we ignore him, he will keep asking non stop or he will cry and kick up a fuss!! He will throw himself on the bed, kick with all his might and cry and screams. It's happening so often that a few times daddy has to carry him and take him out of the room and leave him outside the apartment door (still within the inside grill) until he stops. We are going nuts really. Poor us not having enough sleep every night. Husband is the most effected since he sleeps late and once woken it's harder for him to fall asleep again. Not only he ask for more milk, Reese also sleeps late at about 10pm plus and gets up super early like 6.30am! His nap time is also irregular and at times refuses to nap.
He will also cry, screams and kick after a nap in the day. I had to shout and scream at him and put him in a room to get him to stop. One thing very irritating is during such tantrum, he will demand for something and when you give it to him, he will say he doesn't want it and when you take it away... he will ask for it again and throws his tantrum... this can go on and on and on.... it's so frustrating! I had no choice but to scold him and put him into the room and let him screams and cry until he stops and apolozises. I felt so sad when this happens but I really have no choice I even gave him a smack or two on his legs during one of the super bad day.

Yesterday after one of the episodes, I was patting him while he takes his milk...and I explained to him why mummy shouted and punished him and told him if he does it again, mummy will be very angry and go away. My poor boy gave me the saddest and fearful look...looking straight into my eyes and he said, " I want mummy, don't want mummy angry". *sigh*

I wonder when this phase is going to end. I really need to wean him off his night feeds. I think I will try giving him super dilutated milk and just have to brace for another few weeks of sleepness night and see whether we will be successful.

From my observation, he is not really hungry when he ask for milk. For him, milk is just some sort of comforter because he will surely ask for milk after one of his tantrums. Milk is his comforter.
Is your child like mine?

8 comments:

LittleLamb said...

Philip is not like this...
For me, I will just let philip cry, if at the same situation as Reese. Btw, 5x a night.. n each time, how much milk u make? do u use the pacifier?

MommyAngel said...

Oh dear .... is this how terrible 2 stage looks like? It sound pretty scary to me coz my Angel is 2 now ......

But 5 times milk per night is really too much. I am also wondering how much milk you gave him per feeding. Can you manage to think of something to replace his comforter - milk ? Maybe a blanket, a pacifier (if he is taking any but I bet he don't) or something he likes just for him to hold onto?

I truly felt for you as I have been through the sleepless night stage + bb crying myself for 1 year + and I certainly will gone crazy if that happens again. Just hope that his terrible 2 phase will pass really really soon.

You take care too and all the best with your new tactic.

Mommy Lose Weight said...

I just let my kids cry until they realise that crying does not get them anywhere.

Can you imagine that they take turns to wake up? like, one wakes up at 2am+, the other at 3am+.

However, after weeks of sleepless nights, they stopped asking for milk in the middle of the night.

A gift from God said...

Dear Little Lamb and Mommy Angel,

Usually he will take 6oz milk with 3 scoops of milk powder before he sleeps and then he will wake up for his night feed once or twice and I usually give him about 4oz each time with 1.5 scoops of milk powder (1 scoop- 2oz water).

The last few weeks, average 3 (4 oz with 1.5 scoops milk powder)night feeds and before he goes to bed, he drinks 6oz (3 scoops milk powder) and then another 4oz (1.5 scoops).

Crazy huh? I had to change his diaper by midnight else it will surely overflow the next morning.

We tried to let him cry but he not only cries... he will screams and throw himself on the bed and then kicks everywhere...or stomp his feet on the ground... it's crazy...

Dear Ling,

At least two kids of yours combine is only twice... me only one kid...and he wakes up average 3 times...at times 5 times...

Family First said...

I have been having 3 feeds a night since he was born till now. He just turned 2 last month. Now its down to one or two feeds. But yes, when he is not well, he behaves EXACTLY like what you described! I just had a crying session from 1.30 till 3am this morning! Latest phase - he wants me to carry him to sleep. Even when he wakes up for night milk, he wants me to carry him to sleep after his milk! Damn tiring ok! I let him cry till he was tired. Asked for milk, then he dozed off.

A gift from God said...

Family First,

It's tough isn't it? I asked around...some kids continues to do this till they are 5 years old!!! :)

MommyAngel said...

Oh dear ..... he really drink so much milk per night ya?

A gift from God said...

Mommy Angel,

Yup...he drinks alot and that because of that... I have to change his diaper once every night.