Thursday, January 15, 2009

What is it with plastic baby bottles?

Recently I read a post by Darren's Mummy on the danger of using baby plastic bottles by major brands. The concern is that BPA (Bisphenol-A) from the plastic bottle can leach into the liquid and thus can cause harm to our children. There is still no proof that it actually causes harm to human, thus far they only did experiments on mice and it shows harmful effects on them. BPA (Bisphenol-A) is a hormone disrupting chemical that can cause cancer and some other disease. This Smart Plastic Guide gives you comprehensive information of the dos and don'ts. Another website that might be useful http://www.bisphenolafree.org/

I am looking at alternative bottles and there is one by MAM. It is still plastic by safe. At least I don't have to go for Chico's glass bottle... heavy and inconvenient.

By the way.. it's not just baby bottles that are effected ...it's everything plastic that that we use to store food and liquid. At the bottom of your plastic wares, you should see a triangle shaped label with a number in it. Try to avoid using those labeled with number 3, 6 and 7.

I am still sad that everything we consume or use may never be safe! Who should we trust? I am very upset about this but then again... I grew up with these plastic bottles and I seem ok... now you tell me... is there real danger or people are just making a big deal out of it? How come our government are not saying much about it? mmmm.....

My husband's company had issued some statements regarding this issue or plastic leaching into food and liquid and claims there is no harm...bla...bla...bla... so what now? My husband doesn't seem to be concern... but I am... somewhat... So I will be replacing Reese's bottles soon just to be safe.

No comments: