Friday, July 04, 2008

TV programmes

Do you allow your kids to watch any TV programmes (kids programmes) they like? Or you will pre select the ones they can watch?

Reese still not much of a TV addict. He only likes Barney, Sesame Street and lately Mickey Mouse. Usually during the weekends, if possible we won't let him watch TV. At my parents, he will watch TV before nap time and during meals. By the way...we do not have the Astro kids' channels.

And yesterday my mom told me he enjoys Ultraman!! Gosh...I hate Ultraman.... and I really don't want Reese to like it. First of all, it's ugly and it promotes a bit of violence... I hope Reese won't grow up playing swords and guns...well...ok...I am being unrealistic here... haha... Nah... he can jolly well play anything he likes...but I just hate Ultraman.... and I know of parents who won't let their kids watch a certain programmes because they don't like them! I use to tell them...let them explore....but hey... see what became of me? I am doing the same!

**I try to let Reese explore what he likes...but I will make sure the programmes are suitable for his age and there are things to learn from them.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Hahaha....I hate Ultraman too. And when my cousin who is a girl loved it and kept making the move in front of me, I literally felt like messing her hands up!

Change the channel! Change the channel! hahaha....

Leona said...

hi. i came across your blog a few days ago and found Reese to be an absolute cutie. I especially loved the video u took of him jumping on the bed to the beat of the music.
My son is 2 yrs 3 mths and he doesn't really like watching tv programmes now. The usual Barney and Hi 5 VCDs are his favourites though. Perhaps u could try to let him watch new children VCDs to take his interest away from Ultraman?

A gift from God said...

Ann,
Well... he only saw Ultraman a few times I think...so I have instructed my mom to turn off the TV if Ultraman is showing..hehe

Leona,
Hi there...thank you for visiting.. Reese has alot of DVDs... we will let him watch new ones every now and then... he doesn't complain much. I also love the video of him jumping and my favourite is the end when he started counting infront of the camera... :)

Moomykin said...

Unfortunately for us, for me, I live in a house where the TV is on almost all the time.

Micah is quite a TV addict, like his grandma and father. The 3 of them will sometimes fight over the remote control! Hahaha...

Max, is only interested in certain shows, like Cars, Finding Nemo and Ant Bully. Even that he usually requests for certain arts of the show.

So I usually try to get them into our room to read, play or even look at starfall.com. I even think their playing with their toys, like trains and cars is better than TV.

BUT having said all that, the shows Micah watches are all from Playhouse Disney, Thomas and Friends, Little Einsteins, Barney, Mickey Mouse, Pocoyo, Handy Many, Bob the Builder...
and I will try to get them to watch as much as possible from the Animal Planet channel. Both boys like this.

A gift from God said...

Kathie,

I haven't introduce Animal Planet or National Geographic to Reese yet. Don't think he knows how to watch them... should try one of these days...oops..need to subscribe first..hehe