Friday, February 25, 2011

First ER Experience

This morning, Reese's fever shoot up to 39.8 degrees and upon consultation with his pediatrician, we were asked to go to the ER and get a blood test as well. So we went to Pantai Hospital, Bangsar.

Reese was definitely not feeling too well, and the moment he saw me turning into the hospital, he started to whine and asked to go home. He didn't want to go to the hospital. I was alone with him and felt a little worried whether I can handle him, nonetheless I went ahead and took him to the ER together with a reference letter from our pediatrician. After 5 to 10 minutes, we went in and was told that they are going to bring the fever down first because it was 40.2 degrees. So the nurse inserted a suppository and didn't do a good job because my boy shouted "It's painful!".

Next, blood test. Not a good thing. Didn't know exactly what to expect but knew it was going to be ugly. First, they put a blanket and got my boy to lie down (kinda force). At this moment, my boy is already crying, scared and confused. Then immediately they wrapped him up only exposing the hand that they were going to insert an IV needle. Everything happened very quickly. Hardly anytime for my son to fight back. Once he was wrapped, immediately 1 nurse pin herself on Reese's body, one went for his exposed arm and I was left to handle his legs. The medical officer immediately went to work on the IV needle and getting blood samples. 2 little tubes in total. My boy was screaming and shouting and struggling to get free. The whole ER room was about to be brought down by Reese's voice... I was fighting back tears. It was tough. Everything was done in less than 15 minutes I think.

Then it was the waiting time. Took him for an ice-cream treat and my aunt came to check on him. After almost 2 hours, we were called into the ER room and met the medical officer. Reese was cleared. He has viral fever. Some strong virus infection. Just need to let it run it's course. Nothing can be done but to control his fever. Got the green light to go home but if by tomorrow fever still high and not controllable, he will have to be admitted. My parents came to visit him at the hospital too... :)

We are still hoping for a small miracle that he will be completely recovered by tomorrow night so that we can still go to Hong Kong on Sunday afternoon.

At the ER Room:

Enjoying his lollipop before the blood test

After the blood test and was smiling because he got to eat BR chocolate ice-cream. Here posing with his grandaunt who came to be with us for a while.

Waiting for the blood test result and telling/showing his ipod to a nurse about HK Disneyland, what kind of parade they have and bla..bla..bla...

Yippie! He can go home... taking the IV needle out

Totally exhausted while traveling home


Irene said...

Phew, glad he needn't be admitted. Hope he'll get well very very soon. We've been to Pantai Hosp ER umpteenth times... not a good thing.

MeRy said...

Hope ur boy will be fine soon...