Thursday, September 04, 2008

Second Language (Mandarin)

From birth, we only communicate with Reese in English. So in a way, you can say that English is Reese's mother tongue.. haha..

I intend to let him learn Mandarin/Cantonese from my parents but they too got used to speaking in English with him.

Last week, my dad put on a new DVD for Reese to watch. It was an educational program that teaches Chinese speaking children English. Instead of learning those English words (he knew all of them long time ago), Reese pick up Mandarin words!! He saw the DVD less than 6 times and he already know quite a lot of Mandarin words! Amazing hor? hehehe... so proud of him. Only thing is, when he says the Mandarin words, it's like 'Kuai Low' speaking Mandarin. Hehehe..

Mandarin words he knows(excuse my ping yin):

show - hand
yen jin - eye
err tuar - ear
tow - head
pi je - nose
jui pa - mouth
ma ma - mummy
pa pa - daddy
jai jian - Goodbye

Now I am excited to teach him more... When I say one of the above words in Mandarin, he will immediately point to the body part and says translate it to English. Really fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My best friend was born in the year of the Dog --- a good sign, very loyal but very stubborn too! :)

I have been trying to relearn Mandarin - mostly online, although I play to go to China for a year to study and work. A good site for adults is www.zhongwenred.com