Friday, January 25, 2008

Chinese New Year

Ah.... CNY is almost here... I usually don't like CNY because I hate visiting and having to conform to all the traditional stuff!! The only thing I look forward to is to meet up with my relatives over reunion and first day of CNY. It's usually the only time I get to meet up with them. My cousins are all grown up and it's nice to be able to spend the two days with them and catch up on the latest. Well.. didn't get to do that the last few years because I got married and being a Chinese daughter and wife, I was required to spend reunion and the first few days of CNY with my husband's family. So by the time I got back to KL most of the CNY mood was gone, everyone was back to work and nothing much to celebrate and of course I missed my favorite Yee Sang!!! You don't get that in Penang.

So what was my experience in spending CNY with my husband's family?
Wow! the first year I spent it with my in-laws.... it was so different... I remembered vividly that I missed my family soooo much; actually I was kinda down ( a tear or two) and homesick! Ha ha ha... Now I am ok... I remembered how my mom used to tell me.. cherish your CNY celebration with the family now..when you are married.. you won't get to do it with us anymore! How true, how true...
Sometimes I wonder what's all the fuss about tradition? Can't we do what we like and why Chinese women are not given equal rights like Chinese men? Not fairlah... I am not a person who enjoys traditions... in fact I prefer not to follow any if given a choice. That's life I guess.... I am just glad I do have control over my own life and pretty much do what I want. I know for sure when it comes to my son's life... He can do whatever he wants.... I just want him to be happy, love us and have a family of his own!

oh...the good news....

This year is different!!!! I can't wait for CNY! Why you must be asking... because of hubby's new job and by chance it falls on a weekday... I get to celebrate CNY reunion with my family!!! No joke! I am really really happy and is anticipating the day since a month or two ago! Already planned what to cook for the reunion, can't wait to enjoy some of my favorite CNY dishes and most of all having a good time with the family. I never missed CNY celebration soo much in my life! ;) Silly isn't it? but can't help itlah.

What about you ladies out there? What was your first reunion away from home like? Share..share...

1 comment:

Ann said...

Although I apprieciate celebrating CNY with my parents, I got to say that the family I have in Ipoh is rather small. It's my mum's side in Ipoh and the immediate family unit is rather small. Also we don't go visiting relatives in Ipoh coz we hardly know them!

But hubby's side is totally different. LOTS of relatives and friends come to the house on the 1st day and stay a long long time. So, it's more 'yit lau'....but it does get a little tiring.

And I always get to go home to Ipoh on the first day in the evening itself! So, I don't really miss much!

I think my parents really welcome us home though. From 3 at home to 6 (with a baby)...it's much more noise and activity!!!