Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reading Progress

If you have been reading my blog, you will realized that I haven't blogged on his reading! Why? Because mummy was too lazy and at one point Reese wasn't interested in reading! I didn't want to push him, he is still young. :)

So after at least 5 months of no reading exercises, I started again 4 days ago with high frequency words (flash cards) and phonics (computer). To make sure he doesn't get bored, I only flash the cards twice (less than 5 minutes) and if he is in a good mood, I will flash it once more. That's it. Then I will repeat this maybe another time in the evening. So less than 10 minutes a day with flash cards. :) I will turn on the Macbook and let him play the phonics and math games for as long as he wants at least once a day (can only do so when at home in the mornings or evenings).

Two days ago, after flashing cards, I will write simple sentences for him to read and it's nice that he can almost effortlessly read the following on his own.

Day 1:
  1. Reese can see.
  2. I can see.
  3. The cat can see.
  4. The dog can see.
  5. Mum can see.
  6. The cat is fat.
  7. The cat is on the mat.
Day 2:
  1. The rat can see Reese.
  2. The cat is for Reese.
  3. Reese is sad.
  4. Reese is in the house.
  5. The fish is in the water.
Today:
  1. The pig is on the barn.
  2. The frog is on a log.
  3. The bug is sad.
  4. The rocket is hot.
  5. The sun is big and hot.
** Something funny, each time he sees his own name, instead of reading his name, he will replace the name with Lightning Mcqueen (He is currently Lightning Mcqueen the race car)!

I combined both phonics that he knew with high frequency words that I am working with him. So far so good and the learning is kept at less than 5 minutes each time and I tried to do it twice a day. A tip mummies and daddies, never force and do it when the child is ready. Happy learning. Will update more soon.



No comments: