Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How to homeschool a 2 year old?

Ever since the start of this year, I try to crack my head on what to teach a 2 year old? Ok... it's a bit early but then again homeschooling is about flexibility and the child gets to learn at his own pace.

I started Reese on playgroup and he is adjusting to it pretty well. I started to teach him phonics through play. It's more of a revision really. He already know the sounds of the alphabets from watching starfall.com few months back. Now is more of a revision and will be introducing 'at, ag, ab, ad, am...'

How to do it though play? Well,

1. You can get a set of alphabet blocks, alphabet jigsaw or alphabets with magnets to play with your child.

2. Play hide and seek or go treasure hunting. Get the child to hunt for the alphabets.

3. Have big visuals of the alphabets or pictures related to the alphabets and stick them around the house using sticky tac for easy removal.

4. Sing the alphabet songs or better still let them watch different version of the song on Youtube. Just do a search.

5. Drawing and painting session to include the alphabets. Not too many just a few whenever you can.

6. Make up stories about the alphabets and their sounds.

You can also do the same when learning numbers. For Reese we just 'count' numbers in the car, when he 'read' books. So far as of yesterday he can count up to thirty ten (40). Haha...

I have a problem reading a story to him. He never listens and will snatch the book away and start to read it his way. That is flipping through the pages and looking at the pictures and just talk about them. So we just talk about the pictures. No story reading but I guess it fine as long as he is interested in the books. We can always make up our own stories!

Most of Reese's learning is from talking to him about things around him. Now that he talks alot we are having a hard time meeting his demands!

I am a lazy mum, I have so many ideas on how to teach Reese but just too lazy to draw and cut and paste! I really have to go to the bookshop to get some craft stationary.

3 comments:

Moomykin said...

Can do some Science with him:

plants - study different leaf vines, grow mung beansprout, plant printing (ladies fingers, citrus fruit, leaf printing).

and animals,
i.e. "grow" caterpillars, tadpoles, etc. talk about herbivores and carnivores.

Anonymous said...

You are not a lazy Mum, but you do seem to worry an extraordinary amount.

This might stop you enjoying Reece's childhood as much as you might.

Go easy on yourself !

A gift from God said...

Moomykin,

Sounds great but not sure whether Reese can appreciate it yet... :) maybe will wait till he is 2 and half years old..then will try them.

Anonymous,
Gosh, I worry too much yeah? hehehe.. actually it's not true.. I am just feeling guilty for I wanted to start a few projects with Reese so that he can enjoy and learn and yet.. I haven't been doing anything about it... :) Don't worry... I am enjoying my baby's childhood and I want to make sure it's a memorable one for him.